Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I Am Here


Note to myself: Sperlonga...Mongolian Barbecue All-You-Can-Eat...Pimp my Vespa...Smelly Subways...Pizza...Dad's Birthday Call...Best Drawings Ever...Falling in Love on a Daily Basis...Learning how to make one dish last a Semester...Rome is the the most AMAZING place I have ever been to...Italian Bellydancer...Villa Borghese...A-Style.

The past weeks have been quite an experience. On a daily basis, even though I have to fight to open my eyes and wake up, it doesn't take much to remind myself that I am waking to a Roman morning. The sound of urban chaos and the smell of morning coffee fills my first minutes, but a stretch and falling out of bed usually does the trick. Everyday I find myself loving this city more and more, but quite oppositely I see even more challenges that i have to consider. The porters in charge of the residents for example. They don't really seem to like us. I don't know why that is.

I draw lots of things now. Everything actually. For the first time in a long time, I carry my sketchbook around and I look at things a lot differently and I see my friends every day and I find inspiration in the work I see in the studio and in the work that's been sitting around for thousands of years and I try to tell myself that I belong here and when I do that I just feel like an insect among gods...so small. I love it and even so, it makes me sad that I will have to go away eventually and not call this place home anymore. Something about being lost makes me feel so comfortable. Being lost and not knowing what to do or even not having anything to do just makes me feel free beyond any freedom I have ever felt.

Yesterday, I woke up and sunlight sifted through the shades of the windows into the room, leaving beams of light that illuminated the space in a bluish hazy glow. It was amazing. Rome is amazing.

I miss my doggy beagle puppy. And I miss my family and friends. And Denny's and KFC and American Pizza. And I love "the perks of being a wallflower." Zoller - you're right it is my kind of book. You know me too well.

Earth-Shattering Revelation #17: The World Will Never Be The Same.

1 comment:

AC said...

so... jealous...

someday i'll make it to europe to see all of the art i've been learning about. it'll be awhile since ecologists don't really make big bucks :-)

glad to see you're alive and having a great time!

maybe i'll catch you in state college one of these breaks before i graduate and head off somewhere west of the mississippi.